Recipe: Almond Milk
Despite what the diary industry tries to make us believe, milk doesn’t always do a body good. Not everyone can easily digest cow’s milk. Soy milk can be equally undigestible. Soy beverages are not something I would recommend due to GMO concerns and questions on whether we should even be ingesting soy products.
Looking for a non dairy beverage to put on your breakfast porridge in the morning? Give almond milk a try. Almonds contain anti cancer and cholesterol lowering properties and are rich in vitamin E. They are also a good calcium source. Its easy to make, here’s a super simple recipe:
1 cup raw almonds, preferably organic
2-3 cups filtered water
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey ( optional)
1. soak almonds overnight, drain
2. put almonds and other ingredients into a blender
3. puree at high speed for 3-5 min
4. add a touch of vanilla or almond extract depending on your tastes
5. add a teaspoon of maple syrup if you want to sweeten it a bit
6. pour the blend into a bowl lined with two sheets of cheesecloth.
7. squeeze the liquid almond milk through the cheesecloth
Note: you can utilize the leftover almond grinds in cookies for added healthy fiber.